Four in 10 UK homes have sold at a loss since 2007, according to recent analysis of Land Registry figures. The average shortfall during the period was… £24,430. This is huge!
One of the easiest – and most affordable ways – that you can help your home sell quickly at the asking price is to “stage” your property. With most viewers forming an opinion about your home within 7-10 seconds of walking in, it’s essential that you think about how you make that perfect first impression.
Over 90% of buyers look at homes they’ve found on the Internet. It is critical that your home makes a strong first impression online, too. Staging will help you do just that.
And if you’re still not convinced, the Real Estate Staging Association reports that in controlled tests selling identical homes, professionally staged vs. those not staged, the non-staged houses sold in 102 days, while the staged houses sold in 45 days.
We’ve pulled together a team of UK design experts to give you their 6 top tips for getting your home ready to sell:
- Declutter and then deep clean your property. – Alison Armitage
- Appeal to the viewers’ sense of smell and put on a pot of coffee, bake some bread or light a scented candle before they arrive. Most people’s moods are lifted by lovely smells! – Antonia Burnett
- Make the frontage gorgeous, and ensure that the front door area is welcoming. The property should be easy to find, with the house number visible, and make sure that the doorbell works. – Chrissy Halton
- Remove everything that isn’t decorative. Ask yourself “Would I see this item in a show home?” and if the answer is no, put it out of sight. – Lynn Pick
- Make an effort to visit your local market and buy fresh flowers to decorate the lounge, kitchen, dining room and master bedroom. – Rhonda Deal
- Clearly define how the available space can be used to its maximum potential. For example, even the smallest outdoor space can be presented as an attractive ‘extra room’. – Tracey Parkinson
We know some of you have already done a fantastic job of staging your home and we’d like to recognise your achievements! Send us your best before-and-after photos and you might just be in the running to win an iPad Mini!
Check out our Homestager of the Year Competition